Tag Archives: Narborough

Local M.P. seeks assurances regarding Pitchfork release

Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth

During a debate in Parliament on Tuesday 23rd January, South Leicestershire M.P. Alberto Costa asked a Government minister for assurances that jailed double-killer Colin Pitchfork will only be released when he no longer poses a risk to the public.

Pitchfork raped and murdered schoolgirls Lynda Mann, Narborough in 1983 and Dawn Ashworth, Enderby, in 1986. Both girls were 15yrs of age.

The M.P., who was speaking in the House of Commons during a discussion of the case of John Worboys, the London cab driver who carried out a series of sexual assaults on female passengers, asked Justice Secretary David Gauke what steps he had taken to ensure the Parole Board fully takes account of public safety prior to releasing a prisoner.

The Parole Board recommended that Pitchfork, who was jailed in 1988, should move to an open prison in 2016 and cleared him for unsupervised visits in 2017.

Speaking to the Leicester Mercury 1 following the debate, Mr. Costa said his role was to ensure that decision makers are “properly scrutinised”.

Replying, the Secretary of State said the safety of the public must be the overriding objective in the mind of the Parole Board when it is considering whether to release a prisoner.

The South Leicestershire M.P., whose constituency covers Enderby and Narborough went on to tell the Mercury:

Alberto Costa M.P.
Alberto Costa M.P.

“That’s the assurance I have been given and, in the weeks and months ahead I will be pressing for as much information I can get about the reasons for his release – if he is released – and what safeguards have been put in place to prevent him ever offending again.

“We don’t know to what extent he has admitted his guilt or shown any remorse for his crimes.”

Mr Costa has previously told the Mercury that consideration should be given to overturning the existing rules which prevent the disclosure of Parole Board decisions.

Mr Costa said:

“The only way we can have that assurance is if the most important parts of the submissions to the Probation Board by or on behalf of Mr Pitchfork and which persuaded it to release him are made available.”

Safety of public is overriding concern

Secretary of State for Justice Mr David Gauke told Mr Costa:

David Gauke M.P.
David Gauke M.P.

“The safety of the public is the Parole Board’s overriding concern in considering whether a prisoner should be released.

“That will be the board’s concern when it comes to reviewing Pitchfork’s detention.

“I can confirm that the families of Pitchfork’s victims are receiving regular contacts under the probation victim contact service – specifically they have been given the opportunity to submit a victim personal statement to the Parole Board and to make representations regarding licence conditions for any upcoming parole hearing.”

Prof. Nick Hardwick
Prof. Nick Hardwick

Parole Board chairman Professor Nick Hardwick has indicated the body could take steps toward greater transparency and Lynda Mann’s sister, Rebecca Eastwood, who lives in Liverpool, backed Mr Costa’s call for key aspects Pitchfork’s “assessment” to be made public.

In 2015 Dawn Ashworth’s mother, Barbara, supported a petition calling for Pitchfork to not be released. Along with the Eastwood family, who raised the petition, she believed Pitchfork should remain in prison for the rest of his life.

1 The Leicester Mercury (This story)

Appeal – Do you recognise this man?

Officers would like to speak to this man in connection with an assault which happened in Station Road, Narborough, on 16 December at around 8.35pm.

A man was hit on the back of his head suffering minor injuries.

If you are the man, recognise the man or have any further information, contact us by phone on 101 quoting incident number 17000549637.

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online https://goo.gl/9bQ55y. Your personal details won’t be taken, information isn’t traced or recorded and you will not be required to go to court.

£1250 fine for barking dog

Photo: BDC

A local resident who failed to prevent his dog from barking has been fined by Leicester Magistrates’ Court.

Eric Davies, 43, of Countesthorpe was living at Forest Road, Narborough, when a total of 18 residents made complaints to the Council about the barking of his dog last year. Blaby District Council served Mr Davies with a noise abatement notice in February 2017, with breaches of the notice witnessed by Environmental Health officers between 19 May and 17 August 2017.

He pleded guilty to five charges of failing to comply with the abatement notice in court and was given a £576 fine, with £620 costs and a £57 victim surcharge.

No alternative

Cllr. Hewson

Speaking about the matter, Blaby District Councillor Iain Hewson, Portfolio Holder for Health Improvement, Leisure & Regulatory Services, said:

“Our Environmental Health officers tried many times to ensure that Mr Davies’ dog was no longer posing a noise problem to residents.

“Unfortunately despite the work we were left with no alternative but to seek this course of action.

“We work hard to prevent unnecessary and nuisance noise for district residents and would encourage anyone experiencing a similar problem to report it to us so our team can investigate.”

Anyone with concerns about unwanted noise in their area can visit www.blaby.gov.uk/noise or call 0116 275 0555 for more information.

Narborough resident appointed OPCC Chief Executive

Paul Hindson
Paul Hindson

Leicestershire Police and Crime Commissioner Lord Willy Bach has announced the appointment of Paul Hindson as his Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC).

A Confirmation Hearing, held by the Police and Crime Panel, took place on Tuesday Dec 5th when members were unanimous in their support of the appointment.

Mr Hindson has previously held leadership roles for regional probation services and offender management for the Ministry of Justice.

The recommendation to appoint him as Chief Executive of the OPCC followed a robust recruitment process which saw candidates interviewed by a community panel to assess their suitability for the role and their commitment to wider partnership work.

Willy Bach said:

“I’m delighted that the Panel has supported my decision to ask Paul Hindson to take up the role as my Chief Executive.

“Paul has a wealth of knowledge and expertise gained from a series of leadership roles within the criminal justice field. With his proven track record of transforming complex models into reality and inspiring partners to deliver challenging goals, I’m confident is the right person to take forward the delivery of my Police and Crime Plan.”

Paul Hindson said:

“I really look forward to working with the Commissioner to deliver his Police and Crime Plan.

“Throughout my career I have tried to deliver changes for the public benefit alongside value for money and this is an opportunity to do that in one of the key public services.

“A big part of that will be engaging with the public and partners to ensure that the service delivered meets their needs and expectations.”

Chair of the Police and Crime Panel, Cllr Joe Orson, said:

“The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Police and Crime Panel held a Confirmation Hearing to review the proposed appointment of Mr Hindson as Chief Executive Officer.

“At the Hearing Mr Hindson was thoroughly questioned by the Panel on his suitability for the role and he answered the questions fully and competently.

“As a result the Panel has endorsed the appointment of Mr Hindson to the role.”

Mr Hindson, from Narborough, has vast criminal justice experience working with the Ministry of Justice, the Home Office and the Probation Service.

Keen to support initiatives that drive transformation, develop innovation, improve quality and enhance community engagement he has been closely involved in the delivery of the Transforming Rehabilitation contract.

This is the name given to the government’s programme for how offenders are managed in England and Wales.

Prior to this he was managing director of Justice Working Links for two years in which he was responsible for the delivery of all justice services nationally and for the transformation of existing justice services in Community Rehabilitation Companies across Wales and the South West of England.

Fears over Enderby child killer Colin Pitchfork’s prison release

A double child killer who was the first person to be convicted using DNA evidence is to be released from prison on unsupervised days out.

Colin Pitchfork, 56, was given a life sentence in 1988 for the rape and murder of 15-year-olds Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth in Leicestershire.

Lynda’s mother fears he is being given the opportunity to kill again.

However, the Ministry of Justice said all offenders must “pass a full risk assessment” before being released.

Kath Eastwood, Lynda Mann’s mother, said:

“I’m so angry that the system is allowing this excuse for a human being, a double child rapist and murderer, [to] be on the streets where he sees the next opportunity to kill again.

“Yes he will be locked up again but what about the devastation that will leave another innocent family?

“I am angry beyond belief that I cannot stop this.”

Colin Pitchfork image
Pitchfork was the first killer to be convicted using DNA

A petition has been launched to call for the double child killer to be kept locked up ‘for the rest of his life’.

The petition is available to view / sign here

It has been created by the sister of Pitchfork’s first victim, Lynda Mann, after it was confirmed he is to be allowed to take unescorted days out from prison.

  • Colin Pitchfork, 22 at the time of the first murder, was married with two sons. He was a baker who grew up in rural Leicestershire and lived in Littlethorpe
  • In November 1983 he left his baby son sleeping in the back of his car and raped and strangled 15-year-old Lynda Mann with her own scarf in Narborough. He then drove home and put his son to bed
  • Three years later, less than a mile from where Lynda died, he raped and murdered Dawn Ashworth, also 15, of Enderby. The pathologist who examined her body described it as a “brutal sexual assault”
  • A police investigation initially led to the wrong man, Richard Buckland, a local 17-year-old who falsely confessed to one of the killings. After an unprecedented mass screening of 5,000 men using pioneering “DNA profiling” technology, Pitchfork was eventually caught. At first, Pitchfork had evaded justice by persuading a colleague to take the test for him
  • He pleaded guilty to both murders in September 1987 and was sentenced to life in January 1988. The judge said the killings were “particularly sadistic” and he doubted Pitchfork would ever be released
  • In 2009, his 30-year life tariff was reduced by two years for “exceptional progress” – a decision that was strongly criticised by the families of his victims
  • He was moved to an undisclosed open prison at some point prior to 8 January 2017, after his request for release

Relatives of Pitchfork’s victims have been sent letters telling them “a series of unescorted ROTLs” (release on temporary licence) “will be happening in the near future”.

Offenders are released on temporary licence towards the end of their sentences.

The Ministry of Justice said it does not comment on individuals.

However, it said in a statement:

“All offenders must meet strict criteria and pass a full risk assessment before being considered for release on temporary licence (ROTL).

“Those who fail to comply with the conditions of a ROTL can be returned to closed prisons where they may have to serve additional time.”

[Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-40929565
(includes photographs not reproduced here)