Tag Archives: advice

Police advise “Watch where children play this summer”

Farmer, Kevin Stokes, and Police Constable 1291 David Sharpe stand by the damaged pump.

Police in Leicestershire are asking parents to be mindful of where their children are playing this summer after a farmer, in the rural district of Harborough, suffered criminal damage to his irrigation system which was feeding lake water to his crops worth tens of thousands of pounds.

The advice was issued as part of Leicestershire Police’s Safer Summer campaign, run each year to promote local social engagements at youth clubs and organised local activities, reducing instances of anti-social behaviour in local areas.

Police Constable 1291 David Sharpe part of the Safer Neighbourhood Team within Harborough and the Bowdens said:

“The trespass and criminal damage of the irrigation pump on Mr Stokes’ field is significant in that it threatened his summer crop.

Local police are most concerned about the possibility of young people potentially drowning in the lake which feeds his crops.

PC Sharpe added:

“The problem with swimming unattended in remote lakes and field water is that: if you get into difficulty, there is no one there to help you. The lake bed may also feature unsafe items beneath the water line, such as fallen trees, which can prevent you from leaving the water.”

“I’d encourage parents to ensure they know where their children are at all times and talk to them about the dangers of trespassing on farmland.”

Local farmer, Kevin Stokes sells his produce restaurants and locally via his farm shop.

Whilst the repair to the damage to farm machinery cost a few hundred pounds, if the malfunction had not been caught in time, it could have destroyed an entire crop.

Mr Kevin Stokes of Fardon Fields Farm said:

“The farming community depends on its crops for its livelihood. I appeal to parents locally to consider the consequences and true cost of damaging farm machinery.

“Farmland is not a safe place for children to play. Being around farmland and farm machinery can be dangerous. Please consider the risks of trespassing.”

Anyone with information about crime or anti-social behaviour should call Leicestershire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers, which is free* and anonymous, on **0800 555 111.

*Calls to 101 cost 15p for the entire call from both mobile phones and land lines

**Please note some mobile phone service providers may charge for this call

» View video (on YouTube)

Help and advice for a healthier life

Families can get free advice on health, education, money matters and lots more at a Well Family Clinic being held on Friday January 20 at the Enderby Village Institute.

The event is open from 3pm – 8pm and will allow people to address a range of health and wellbeing needs under one roof.

Councillor David Jennings, portfolio holder for health and community services at Blaby District Council said:

“We want to help people who are ready to improve their lifestyle by giving them access to a range of services in one place.

“People will have new year’s resolutions fresh in their minds and if they need that extra bit of support to really make a positive change for their family or themselves then I would urge them to visit this clinic”. 

Services available include body MOTs, information on adult education, NHS stop smoking advice, a physical activity clinic and resident support.

Staff from a range of agencies will also be on hand to give advice on housing, council tax, benefits, drug and alcohol misuse, debt and community safety.

For more information email leisure@blaby.gov.uk or call the Council’s health and leisure team
on 0116 272 7703.


New Year’s Drink Driving and Personal Safety Advice

People in communities across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland will be finalising their plans ahead of New Year’s Eve, the time for seeing in a hopeful, prosperous and peaceful 2012. 

Chief Inspector Steve Potter is the lead for Operations at Leicestershire Police, he said,

“By taking some simple steps you can ensure that your 2012 gets off to a good start and that your New Year’s Eve night is memorable for all the right reasons.

“The majority of crimes committed by or against people celebrating the occasion are fuelled by the excessive consumption of alcohol. Drink responsibly, stay with trusted friends and always have enough money reserved for a planned ride home with someone who has not been drinking.”
Police are issuing advice to the public to take some simple steps to plan ahead for their big New Year’s Eve night out:
  1. Have none for the road – simply don’t drink if you have to drive;
  2. Leave your car at home and travel with a designated driver;
  3. Book a taxi before you go out and don’t leave it to chance;
  4. Take the bus to your destination to remove the temptation to drive;
  5. Give your car keys to a friend for safe keeping, preferably a designated driver, when you’re out and you’ve decided to drink and therefore not to drive;
  6. Leave your car keys behind the bar – if you know the landlord in you local pub, remove your car key from your key ring and ask to leave it behind the bar.
Once out and about partying with friends and family, Leicestershire Police advises taking the following safety precautions:
  1. Sticking with friends and travelling home in a group;
  2. Checking to make sure your taxi is a licensed cab;
  3. Sitting in the back of the taxi;
  4. Informing the bus driver if you feel uncomfortable with behaviour on a bus
  5. Moderating your alcohol intake (click here for advice). Alcohol increases your chances of being a victim and a perpetrator of crime;
  6. Avoiding drug misuse;
  7. Avoiding drinking and driving – either have a designated driver, or use public transport to get home;
  8.  Only take the cash and valuable you need for the night with you;
  9. Keep your valuables in a zipped pocket. Leave coats and bags in an attended cloakroom if you want to go on to the dance floor.
For more personal safety advice,
The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Road Safety Partnership are requesting that people keep their eyes and ears open this winter.
If you see someone who appears to be drunk leave a public house or club and then enter a vehicle to drive away, make a note of the registration plate and the direction of travel and call your local police on 101* or make a make a free and anonymous call to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111**

*Calls cost 15p for the entire duration of the call from mobile or landline phones

**Some mobile phone providers may charge for this call