Over fifty Christmas hampers donated by Blaby District Council employees and Councillors are being distributed to those most in need at Christmas.
Each hamper has been decorated with Christmas wrapping and contains many items for families to use, from toiletries and household items to tinned meats and Christmas puddings.
The Council is working with Supporting Leicestershire Families, Lightbulb and its Community Services team to give all hampers to families in the district.
Cat Hartley, Group Manager for Planning, Economic Development and Partnerships, who helped to organise the Council’s internal appeal, said:
“The response has been fantastic and we are all extremely proud of what colleagues have come together to achieve.
“All hampers include some of the most basic items, such as sanitary towels and baby wipes, that we might take for granted but some families are desperate for…and most of them also have a festive twist!
“We wanted to ensure as many residents in the district have the best Christmas possible, and this is just one small way we can try to make this happen.”
Those who need emergency support, including foodbanks can visit the Council’s Narborough Offices or call 0116 275 0555.
What’s in a hamper?
List of the most common items within each hamper:
- Toiletries – deodorant, toilet paper, shower gel, shaving gel, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hand wipes
- Household items – laundry liquid detergent, laundry powder, washing up liquid
- Feminine products – sanitary towels and tampons
- Baby supplies – nappies, baby wipes and baby food
- Tinned meat, vegetables, beans, soup and other canned goods
- Pasta, rice, pasta sauce
- Tinned fruit, puddings, custard
- Biscuits, crisps, sweets, chocolates including Christmas puddings!
- Tea & Coffee