Could YOU fill these shoes?

The search is on for people interested in becoming a Parish Councillor as Enderby Parish Council advertise two vacancies in the St. John’s Ward.

Enderby Parish Council is the first tier of local government for the area and it makes decisions on behalf of the people resident in the civil parish of Enderby.

The Parish Council is the level of local government closest to the community. The Parish Council works in conjunction with Blaby District Council and Leicestershire County Council.

A parish councillor is someone to whom the community can look to for help, guidance and support and someone in a position to influence decisions for the benefit of the community they serve.

The Parish Council meets in the Council Chamber, Enderby Civic Centre, King St, Enderby

The main purpose of the role is to represent the views of residents within the parish.

• The Council has responsibility for running some local services including open spaces, play areas, Community Library and village halls.

• Deciding on how much to raise through the Precept (part of your Council Tax) in order to deliver the council’s services.

• Influencing and shaping the long term development policy for the parish, and (as part of the planning process), comment on planning applications in the parish.

• Work to try and improve the quality of life and the environment in the local area.

• Work to identify issues which are important to the lives of the residents they represent.

• Working to bring about improvements through local projects, lobbying other service providers and working in partnership with other parishes and agencies.

Enderby Parish Council makes all kinds of decisions on issues that affect the local community. Probably the most common topics that parish councils get involved with are planning matters (they are statutory consultees), crime prevention and roads & highways.

Parish councils have limited powers to make decisions but they do have the ability to negotiate with, and the power to influence, those other organisations that do make the final decisions (such as the District or County Council, health authorities, Police etc.). Organisations that make the final decisions know that a parish council gives the best reflection of how a community feels about something and as a consequence, its views are taken seriously.

The Full Council usually meets once a month for its Council Meeting to which members of the public are also invited. Meetings may last one or two hours, depending on what’s on the list of items to discuss (Agenda). Sub-committees deal with specific subjects, Policy & Finance, Recreation & Amenities and Planning.

In addition to the regular meetings Councillors may be required to give time for ‘ad-hoc’ meetings – for example with architects or agents to discuss planning applications that the Council must give its opinions on.

Parish councillors serve for a maximum of four years. If they then want to stay in the post they can stand for re-election.

This does not mean that they have to stay for four years. If they find it’s not for them, or they can no longer meet the commitment, they can ‘stand down’.

To stand for election to a parish council, a person must:
be a UK or Commonwealth citizen; or
be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland; or
be a citizen of another Member state of the European Union; and
be at least 18 years old.
To be eligible to stand for an election for a particular parish, you must:
be an elector of the parish; or
in the past 12 months have occupied (as owner or tenant) land or other premises in the parish; or
work in the parish (as your principal or only place of work); or
live within three miles of the parish boundary.
A person doesn’t have to be connected to a political party.

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Parish Councillor in Enderby can talk to an existing Councillor at one of the Councillor ‘Surgeries’ (held in the Community Library, Enderby Civic Centre) or contact them – details are here on the Parish Council website, or contact the Clerk to the Council, Civic Centre, King Street, Enderby, Leicester LE19 4NT. Tel: 0116 275 3711.