First steps in the construction of a new bridge over the M1 motorway have begun, brought forward following a successful £5 million bid by Leicestershire County Council in partnership with Blaby District Council, Leicester City Council, the Highways England, the Local Enterprise Partnership and developers.
The bid was for a share of funding from the Government’s “Local Pinch Point Fund”, worth £170m and designed to remove bottlenecks on the local highway network which are impeding growth.
The Pinch Point Funding will:
- Bring forward the provision of the M1 Bridge by at least 2 years and guarantee its delivery.
- Enable greater investment in the local on-site road infrastructure.
- Enable early delivery of a district centre (including a supermarket, small unit shops, cafés and restaurants, community & health facilities and small offices).
- Provide options for traffic entering and leaving Leicester and will relieve congestion on the A47.
On February 19th 2015 the contract for the construction of the M1 Bridge was awarded to Balfour Beatty by Leicestershire County Council.
The £10m bridge will span from Thorpe Astley to Leicester Forest East, to provide a link to the new 4,250 home Lubbesthorpe development.
It will also help reduce congestion and the impact of traffic on Beggars Lane / A47.
Early work has already begun and the bridge is due to be completed by August 2016.
Below is an artist’s impression of what the bridge could look like once it has been constructed.No.1
Public exhibition regarding the new M1 motorway bridge
A public exhibition to view information about the construction of the new bridge across the M1 from Thorpe Astley to Leicester Forest East which will provide a link to the New Lubbesthorpe development is due to be held on Monday 18th May 2015 between 3pm and 7pm at Leicester Forest East Parish Hall
Site compounds are being set up on the east and west side of the M1 to provide staff offices and facilities, loading bays, fabrication and storage areas.
In June, a holding bay will be constructed off Beggars Lane to minimise the disruption caused by traffic arriving and leaving the site. A 40mph speed limit will be introduced along a length of Beggars Lane to improve safety in the vicinity of the works access.
Traffic management required to create a working area in the centre of M1 will be set up, a 50mph speed limit and narrow lanes between LFE and Junction 21 will be used.
Works will include piling, sheet piling support, excavation, reinforced concrete construction.
The basic timeline is
- Commencing of site operations from April 15
- Night time operations June 15
- Road embankments complete for lifting in beams Jan 16
- Deck pours complete by April 16
- Overnight lane closures complete by end May 16
- Road works atop embankments commence Feb 16 and complete (including over new deck) by end August 16.
More information on the New Lubbesthorpe Development can be found by visiting:http://www.blaby.gov.uk/resident/planning-and-building/lubbesthorpe/ and http://www.newlubbesthorpe.co.uk/