Category Archives: News

Countesthorpe Brownies get Dementia Aware

Group Picture

A group of Brownies have become the latest people in the district to become dementia aware, gaining a new badge in the process!

The 2nd Countesthorpe Brownies, based at Thistly Meadow Primary School, have been taking on several challenges for their new badge.

From making flowers, creating memory games and hosting a friends and family tea party, the brownies have been learning about living well with dementia.

Their huge efforts have raised over £140 for the Alzheimer’s Society.

The badge came from local PCSO Julie Hodkinson, in memory of her friend Winnie.

The project has been funded by Blaby District Council, a partner of the Dementia Action Alliance, and gave a dementia friends talk at the badge-giving celebration event.

Councillor Iain Hewson, Portfolio Holder for Health improvement, Leisure and Regulatory Services, who attended the celebration event, said: “I’m so proud to see a group of young people in the district working so hard towards gaining their new badge, and learning so much about being dementia friendly.

“We hope the messages they have taken from this project will be passed onto their friends and families, as we continue our commitment to make as many people in the District of Blaby aware of dementia.”

Charlotte Jeickles, Leader of the 2nd Countesthorpe Brownies, said: “We have enjoyed the dementia awareness challenge and have learnt lots about living well with dementia. The brownies raised £142.50 for the Alzheimer’s Society and really enjoyed being visited by dementia friends.”

The project was first piloted by Hinckley GirlGuiding and the Hinckley & Bosworth Dementia Action Alliance, who put the booklet together and created the badges.

Anyone interested in their local GirlGuiding group taking part in the dementia aware challenge can contact 0116 272 7544 or email leisure@blaby.gov.uk.

[Photo: Blaby District Council]

Environmental crime penalties increased

Littering in car park

Three fines for environmental offences in the district have been increased after a meeting of Blaby District Council’s Cabinet Executive.

The Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) amount for those caught littering and distributing free literature on land without permission has been increased from £75 to £150. The early payment amount has also been increased from £65 to £100.

Graffiti and Fly Posting, which was previously a £75 fine has been upped to £100, with £65 remaining as the early payment amount. The early payment amounts for abandoning a vehicle (£120 to £150) and failing to produce a waste transfer note (£180 to £200) have also been increased.

All new charges will be introduced on Friday 01 June.

The increased FPN for littering comes after the introduction of The Littering from Vehicles outside London (Keepers: Civil Penalties) Regulations 2018.

The new legislation means registered keepers can be fined for vehicles identified in a littering offence.

Previously the person responsible for throwing the litter from the vehicle had to be identified for a fine to be issued.

Councillor Iain Hewson, Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Regulatory Services, said: “The increase in these penalties should reaffirm our commitment to tacking environmental crime in our district, particularly those who litter from vehicles spoiling the countryside and costing taxpayers to clean it up.

“We strongly encourage anyone who witnesses littering from a vehicle and any other crime of this nature to report it to our Environmental Health team, who will investigate and take the appropriate action where possible.”

Anyone can report environmental crime to Blaby District Council’s Environmental Team by calling 0116 272 7555 or email environmental.health@blaby.gov.uk.

PCC announces £250k funding to support crime prevention work

PCC Lord Willy Bach

Lord Willy Bach, Leicestershire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, has announced he is making a further £250,000 available for Crime Prevention purposes.

The Commissioner, who launched his Crime Prevention Fund last year, has decided to sustain this successful initiative in 2018-19.

The Fund provides local organisations with a financial lifeline in their work to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour.

Grants of up to £25,000 are available for organisations whose projects successfully address the PCC’s priorities which include tackling hate crime, domestic violence and abuse, Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE), sports-based initiatives and projects, drug and alcohol-related problems, sexual violence and mental health.

Grants will be allocated in a two-tiered system of up to £9,999 and £10,000-£25,000.

Funding grants for projects of £10,000 and above will only be awarded for exceptional projects.

Willy Bach said: “Grants from my Crime Prevention Fund are available to groups or organisations which help to prevent crime with positive and proactive activities and projects working to keep people safe.

“Too often really good ideas don’t get the traction they deserve through lack of funding.

“Last year we helped numerous really worthwhile projects and I’m hopeful that we will receive the same calibre of applications this time.

“Many groups have already achieved a lot thanks to this fund. It has proved its worth time and again. I hope that 2018-19 is just as successful.

“My advice to groups, especially those with new ideas and projects who might be hesitant about applying, is to come forward and put in an application. We certainly can’t help if we don’t know that you need support.”

Grants are available for new initiatives, existing successful projects where funding is tight or to enable existing projects to develop further. Applicants will be asked to consider the aims of the Police and Crime Plan when submitting a bid.

The funding is available throughout the year with no deadline for applications.

Each application will be reviewed and evaluated personally by the Commissioner.

For more details and to apply, visit https://www.leics.pcc.police.uk/Planning-and-Money/Commissioning/Funding-2018-19.aspx

Work is on track for £135m Fosse extension

Work is well underway on the £135m extension to Fosse shopping park in Enderby, where contractors have cleared the way for development of the adjacent Castle Acres site, formerly the home of Everard’s brewery.

The site has been fenced off with a dark blue wooden screen but observation windows have been placed at points around its length. The image (above) shows an artists impression of how the new NEXT store might look.

Next’s aspiration is to consolidate its two Fosse Shopping Park stores – Next and Next Home – onto the vacated brewery site to create a new landmark 90,000 sq ft store over three storeys.

The demolition of the former Everards Brewery, due to be completed by the end of May, will have prepared the ground for the new Fosse extension, creating space for 9 additional shops and 6 more food outlets.

Everard’s, the local independent family business founded in 1849, have re-located across the Soar Valley Way to a new development called ‘Everards Meadows’ which  will be an exciting new food, drink and leisure development next to the expanding Fosse Retail Park. Work began in April and should be complete by late 2019.

The EYE reported on the development earlier on May 17th.

The Crown Estate announced it was purchasing Castle Acres through the Fosse Partnership in October 2017, with retailers including Next, Debenhams, TK Maxx and Clarks already signed up to take space in the new development.

Michael Bell, Senior Asset Manager at The Crown Estate, said: “This is the beginning of a really exciting journey for Fosse. The development of Castle Acres will create a fantastic new retail offer for our customers and further enhance Fosse’s position as one of the UK’s best loved retail destinations. We are delighted to get started on site, and look forward to working closely with our local partners as the scheme progresses.”

The extension, due to be completed in 2020, will further enhance what is already one of the UK’s most successful shopping parks, attracting 10 million visitors a year.

New pedestrian link

As part of the proposed development, Crown Estates have now also submitted the planning application for the pedestrian link which will connect the new development to the existing centre, as well as plans to redevelop the food court, which they hope will provide a much-improved environment for both retailers and shoppers.

If the application is approved it will likely require the temporary closure of the food court with a temporary food and beverage offer being provided elsewhere at Fosse Park to ensure shoppers continue to have access to food and beverage facilities.

Discussions are currently being held with the current retailers and centre staff about how they may be impacted.

The new development provides parking for over 850 cars, including 30 dedicated wheelchair bays and 12 parent/child spaces.

Access for shoppers will be from Grove Way in the south-east corner of the site, providing easy access to Soar Valley Way.

Deliveries will access the stores via a redesigned access route and service yard on Everard Way.

In the last year, the Fosse Partnership has invested £12.7m in the existing scheme to enhance the retail offer and experience for retailers and their customers, with five new retailers – Office, Pandora, Primark, Superdrug and JD Sports – joining the impressive line-up.

Fosse Retail Park

» The Crown Estate
» Everard’s Meadows

Temporary closure of Smith Way, Enderby – 19th/20th May

UPDATE
Leicestershire County Council informs us that the temporary road closure on Smith Way has been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances on Saturday 19th May 2018. New arrangements will will be issued as soon as the revised information is received.

Leicestershire County Council Highways has agreed to a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order on Smith Way, Enderby.

A temporary road closure is required between the junction of Leicester Lane for approximately 100 metres along Smith Way, Enderby.

The closure will take effect at 19.30 hours on Saturday 19th May 2018 until midnight Sunday 20th May 2018.

Smith Way, Enderby

The Temporary Traffic Regulation Order will be implemented for public
safety for North Midland Construction contractors to carry out carriageway
resurfacing works.

The proposed alternative diversion route will be via:-
Leicester Lane,
Blaby Road,
St Johns,
Narborough Road South,
Lubbesthorpe Way,
Penman Way,
Smith Way, Enderby and vice versa.

Diversion route

Leicestershire County Council apologises for any inconvenience caused
during these works.