The declaration, which has been endorsed by leading figures including the Public Health Minister and the Chief Medical Officer, underlines the district council’s commitment to protecting local communities from the harm caused by smoking.
Cllr Ernie White, Leader of Blaby District Council, signed the declaration, along with Chief Executive Sandra Whiles, and Mike Sandys, Director of Public Health at Leicestershire County Council, on Monday 13 January 2014.
Data shows that Blaby District has around 14,700 adults that smoke and the declaration highlights the ongoing commitment to:
- Reduce smoking prevalence and health inequalities
- Develop plans with partners and local communities
- Participate in local and regional networks
- Support Government action at national level
- Protect tobacco control work from the commercial and vested interests of the tobacco industry
- Join the Smokefree Action Coalition
Council Leader Ernie White said:
“Blaby District Council is working hard to reduce health inequalities across the district. This declaration demonstrates our commitment and by reducing smoking prevalence we can make significant improvements to people’s lives.”
To find out more information on the Local Government Declaration on Tobacco Control visit www.smokefreeaction.org.uk/declaration
For help and advice on giving up smoking please contact 0845 045 2828 or text 07717 420 560 and you will be called back, or visit www.smokefree.nhs.uk
For general advice and health information visit www.blabystayinghealthy.co.uk