The celebration was held at the Marriott Leicester where five of Blaby’s finest groups and individuals were chosen from eleven fantastic finalists.
Finalists included Lucy Smith, who has worked tirelessly for a number of years to improve the lives of older people in Blaby District, and Jack Feast who has selflessly helped and assisted his community as a volunteer flood warden.
Also praised was not for profit group Horses for Causes, who work with children and adults with mental and physical disabilities, using the friendship of horses to give them confidence and improve the quality of life.
Young sporting stars Jack Warren-Ballard, Megan Seagrave and Lizzie Warner were also all recognised for their respective sports of swimming, roller skating and archery.
Council Leader Ernie White said:
“We are extremely proud of Blaby District and it’s important we recognise and celebrate all the brilliant things that people in our district do. This is the tenth consecutive year for the awards and we are continuing to shine the spotlight on those who have enhanced the quality of people’s lives.”
The awards are funded entirely through the generous sponsorship of Grove Park Commercial Centre, Fosse Shopping Park, Marriott Leicester, Aggregate Industries, Westleigh Developments, Ford and Slater and Leicester Chamber of Commerce.
Full list of winners and runners up:
• Outstanding achievement by a young person – Winner: Poppie Simmonds, Runner up: Kirk Croft.
• Selfless service to a voluntary body or the community – Winner: Lucy Smith, Runner up: Patrick Joinson.
• Sporting achievement – Winner: Lizzie Warner, Runners up: Megan Seagrave, Jack Warren-Ballard.
• Community or voluntary group that improves the quality of life for residents in Blaby district – Winner: Horses for Causes, Runner Up: The Blaby and District Lions Club.
• Individual or group that makes the district a safer place to live – Winner: Jack Feast, Runner up: Volunteer Rangers.