Narborough resident appointed OPCC Chief Executive

Paul Hindson

Paul Hindson

Leicestershire Police and Crime Commissioner Lord Willy Bach has announced the appointment of Paul Hindson as his Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC).

A Confirmation Hearing, held by the Police and Crime Panel, took place on Tuesday Dec 5th when members were unanimous in their support of the appointment.

Mr Hindson has previously held leadership roles for regional probation services and offender management for the Ministry of Justice.

The recommendation to appoint him as Chief Executive of the OPCC followed a robust recruitment process which saw candidates interviewed by a community panel to assess their suitability for the role and their commitment to wider partnership work.

Willy Bach said:

“I’m delighted that the Panel has supported my decision to ask Paul Hindson to take up the role as my Chief Executive.

“Paul has a wealth of knowledge and expertise gained from a series of leadership roles within the criminal justice field. With his proven track record of transforming complex models into reality and inspiring partners to deliver challenging goals, I’m confident is the right person to take forward the delivery of my Police and Crime Plan.”

Paul Hindson said:

“I really look forward to working with the Commissioner to deliver his Police and Crime Plan.

“Throughout my career I have tried to deliver changes for the public benefit alongside value for money and this is an opportunity to do that in one of the key public services.

“A big part of that will be engaging with the public and partners to ensure that the service delivered meets their needs and expectations.”

Chair of the Police and Crime Panel, Cllr Joe Orson, said:

“The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Police and Crime Panel held a Confirmation Hearing to review the proposed appointment of Mr Hindson as Chief Executive Officer.

“At the Hearing Mr Hindson was thoroughly questioned by the Panel on his suitability for the role and he answered the questions fully and competently.

“As a result the Panel has endorsed the appointment of Mr Hindson to the role.”

Mr Hindson, from Narborough, has vast criminal justice experience working with the Ministry of Justice, the Home Office and the Probation Service.

Keen to support initiatives that drive transformation, develop innovation, improve quality and enhance community engagement he has been closely involved in the delivery of the Transforming Rehabilitation contract.

This is the name given to the government’s programme for how offenders are managed in England and Wales.

Prior to this he was managing director of Justice Working Links for two years in which he was responsible for the delivery of all justice services nationally and for the transformation of existing justice services in Community Rehabilitation Companies across Wales and the South West of England.

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in News

Three prosecuted for dog chipping offences

Three dog owners have been prosecuted for failing to ensure their pets microchip details were up to date.

Under The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015, dog owners must have their pet microchipped, and for all details to have the most recent information with contact details for a dogs keeper.

Danielle Hawthorn of Packer Avenue, Leicester Forest East, was fined for the second time this year for failing to ensure chip details were up to date.

She was ordered to pay a £440 fine, £332.50 costs as well as a £44 victim surcharge.

Lynn Finch of Walnut Grove, Glen Parva failed to put any details on her dog’s chip.

She was given a six month conditional discharge, ordered to pay £323 costs and a pay victim surcharge of £20.

Shaun Franklin of Wigston Road, Blaby, was also given a six-month conditional discharge for not having updated details on his dog’s chip.

He was also ordered to pay £332.50 in costs as well as a £20 victim surcharge.

All three were prosecuted after being served notice for failure to update their dogs chip, despite the 21 day period of notice and seven additional days to prove the required action had been taken.

Updating microchip details can be easily done over the phone or online and can cost as little as £16 depending on the database.

Councillor Iain Hewson, Portfolio Holder for Health Improvement, Leisure & Regulatory Services, said:

Cllr. Hewson

Cllr. Hewson: We can and will take action…

“We’re disappointed that we have had to take this action against three residents, including one for the second time this year.

We are happy to help anyone struggling with the process to ensure their dog can be identified.

This emphasises that we can and will take action against those who do not comply with the law.”

For more information on dog law, visit www.blaby.gov.uk/dogs or call 0116 275 0555.

[Source: Blaby District Council Communications]
Tagged with:
Posted in Civic, News

Jail sentence for men in Megan Bannister case

On Wednesday 29th November, a 29-year-old man was sentenced to a total of eight years and six months in prison after admitting supplying drugs to teenager Megan Bannister.

Jason Burder, of Braunstone Avenue, Leicester, had also pleaded guilty to possession of MDMA, two counts of supplying a Class A drug and driving without due care and attention and was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court.

His friend, 28-year-old Adam King, of Waltham Avenue, Leicester, was sentenced to four years and six months after admitting being concerned in the supply of the drug to the 16-year-old schoolgirl.

Megan Bannister

Megan Bannister

The body of Megan Bannister was found on the back seat of a black Vauxhall Astra after the car was involved in a collision in Enderby, Leicestershire, on the morning of Sunday 14 May.

Both men were acquitted of a joint charge of gross negligence manslaughter after the Judge directed a jury to find both defendants not guilty of the charge in respect of Megan’s death.

Burder was driving the car at the time, with King in the passenger seat.

It was established early in the investigation that Megan had not died as a result of the collision and toxicology tests found she had MDMA in her system.

However, the exact cause of her death remains unascertained.

The court heard how the teenager had been in the company of both men on the evening of 13th May when, during the course of the evening or the early hours of the next morning, she had taken the drug.

At some point she had become unwell and was seen being helped into the car by both men just before 8am on Sunday 14th May.

It is unclear as to when exactly Megan died.

Detective Chief Inspector Martin Smalley led the investigation. He said:

“This is an incredibly sad case and Megan’s family are still trying to come to terms with her death.

“They have acted with great strength and dignity throughout the trial, at a time when they are continuing to mourn the death of their beloved daughter and sister.

“When Megan’s body was found unresponsive on the back of the car, a number of witnesses to the collision immediately attempted first aid in attempts to save her.

“They too must be recognised for their brave actions in that tragic situation.

“I hope the conclusion of this case will bring a degree of closure to all those who have been affected by it.”

Megan’s parents, Carol and Tony Bannister, released a statement on behalf of their family; siblings Hayley, Kierran, Kirsten, Callum, Ashleigh, Alex and Megan’s twin brother, Mason.

The statement, published on the Leicestershire Police website read:

“Megan was our beautiful, loving and kind daughter, sister and friend.

“Her compassion for others and energy for life meant she was loved dearly by everyone and our hearts have been truly broken by her death.

“Our bright, determined and popular daughter dreamt of being a midwife but her dream will never be realised as she died before her life really had a chance to begin.

“The last six months have been incredibly hard for our family. The grief and numbness we felt after Megan’s death was overwhelming and the absence of Megan in our lives has been so very painful.

“We still walk into our house and hear Megan’s laughter echoing around the rooms and for brief moments, we forget that she’s not here. The hole that has been left in our family is felt every day.

“There have been some very dark times but we have supported each other as a family and sought comfort in the overwhelming number of messages and tributes we have received from people who knew our daughter, as it is clear that Megan was loved by many.

“The silence without our beloved daughter in our lives is deafening.”

[Source/Photo: Leics. Police]
Tagged with:
Posted in News

Leicester Hospitals “delighted” at Glenfield Hospital decision

Doors to Glenfield’s heart unit will remain open following an announcement today by NHS England.

NHS England (NHSE) announced that the threat to decommission heart services at the East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre (EMCHC) has been lifted, meaning the centre will continue to provide lifesaving surgery for children and adults in the region.

The centre is home to the internationally-renowned ECMO (Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation) service, which treats some of the sickest babies, children and adults in the country.

John Adler, Chief Executive at Leicester’s Hospitals, said:

John Adler: Decision is vote of confidence

“We are obviously delighted with the decision to continue commissioning EMCHC as a Level 1 congenital heart disease centre.

“The decision is a vote of confidence for our staff and service, and is great news for our NHS partners across the East Midlands network.

The future is now in our hands and this decision means that the clinical team can now focus on building a world class congenital heart service for people across the East Midlands and beyond.”

Karamjit Singh CBE, Chairman at Leicester’s Hospitals, added:

Karamjit Singh CBE: We acknowledge the fantastic support

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre staff for their incredible resilience and hard work to achieve and more importantly maintain the level of quality and service over this difficult period.”

“We would also like to acknowledge the fantastic support we have had from our stakeholders; patients, relatives, charities, local councils, NHS partners, MPs and media, their unwavering commitment has kept our spirits up during these uncertain times.”

East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre currently treats over 50% of the respiratory ECMO cases nationally, making it the busiest ECMO centre in the UK

Outcomes at the centre are excellent and above national averages, with 99% of families agreeing that they would recommend the service to their friends and family.

Aidan Bolger, Head of Service for East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre, said:

Dr Aiden Bolger: Delighted by decision

“I am delighted by the decision made by the NHS England board today.

“It puts an end to years of uncertainty, and is a testament to the professionalism, energy and determination of all the EMCHC staff that have fought to ensure our service delivers the highest quality of care to meet the required standards.

“Patients in the East Midlands can now be assured that they have access to a Congenital Heart Disease centre of excellence, as close to home as possible, and we can continue to offer our internationally renowned ECMO and mobile ECMO service to the whole of the UK.

“I look forward to focussing all our energy on growing our service and delivering our plan with the confidence to attract and retain the best specialised staff possible and working with our network partners, and NHS Specialised Commissioning to make EMCHC the centre of choice for patients with congenital heart disease.”

EYE viewers can find out more about the East Midlands Congenital Heart Centre and the services by visiting the website: www.eastmidlandscongenitalheart.nhs.uk/consultation/

[Source: Leicester Hospitals Communications]
Tagged with:
Posted in News

Local Plan consultation launches

Map of DistrictA plan to shape housing and employment across the District of Blaby in the coming years is being consulted on with residents and local businesses.

The Delivery Development Plan Document (Delivery DPD) is the second part of Blaby District Council’s overall Local Plan.

The Local Plan is an important set of documents that help determine the outcome of planning applications.

The Delivery DPD includes sites for new homes at Kirby Muxloe, Glenfield and Leicester Forest East.

An employment site in Enderby is also proposed.

A new policies map shows where development in the district should be focussed, as well as the important environmental assets that should be protected.

Consultation opened on Wednesday 29 November and will close on Thursday 18 January 2018. The Council is inviting residents to view the plans and comment on the proposals within the Delivery DPD.

After consultation responses are reviewed, the proposed document will be submitted to the Secretary of State for independent examination by an inspector.

Once finalised, the Delivery DPD and Policies Map will be adopted and, alongside the Core Strategy will replace the Local Plan 1999.

Councillor Sheila Scott, Portfolio Holder for Planning, Housing Strategy, Economic and Community Development, said:

“This is a vital document for the Council as it enables us to approve and refuse planning applications on our own terms; ensuring residents get the most appropriate decisions in their area.

“It also gives us the opportunity to protect and improve some of our most vital assets, as well as plan for new homes and employment sites, which are vital to help the district grow in areas we have identified will be most appropriate.”

All Delivery DPD documents and details of how to make comments are available at www.blaby.gov.uk/deliverydpd.

Information is also on display in local libraries and at the Council’s Narborough Offices.

For further details contact the Development Strategy team via email at planning.policy@blaby.gov.uk or write to the team at Blaby District Council, Council Offices, Desford Road, Narborough, LE19 2EP.

[Source: Blaby District Council Communications]
Tagged with:
Posted in Civic, News
Archived News
Enderby EYE on Facebook
%d bloggers like this: